Your shopping cart is empty
Visit the shop
Want to Love Your Job?
Of course you want to love your job. Maybe you can’t love your current job in Calgary, but even if you decide you need to change jobs, how can you love the new one? Does it even matter if you love your work or is it just something you do for a paycheck in order to enjoy the rest of your life?
For far too many of us, work is just that – a paycheck at the end of the week or month. Yet most if not all of us yearn for a job we can really love. Why spend 8-10 hours a day 5-6 days a week doing something you either tolerate or hate? Wouldn’t you rather spend that time doing something you love? Wouldn’t we all?
Why it Matters
When you really love what you do for a job, then work becomes something besides work. Loving what you do for a living has many components to it, including the actual work and how good you are at it, the people you work with and the people you work for, as well as feeling that your work is valued.
If you are doing what you are good at, if you love your job you will spend as much time as you want, not as you have to. You will be more invested in the work.
What makes people love their jobs?
Many researchers have conducted studies with employees at different companies –with special attention to those companies that are honored with the Best Places to Work label. What makes these places where people love their jobs?
- First and foremost people need to actually do something that they love to do. No matter what other benefits and positives you are surrounded with, or not surrounded with. If you love your work, you can make the environment acceptable.
- In addition to loving your work you also love the people who work with you and you share values with those people.
- You work for someone who really cares for their staff, challenges their staff in a positive and enriching way and shows appreciation to staff.
- You are part of a team with the same values and goals striving to be the best and to “win”, whatever that means in your field of work.
- You have pride not only in what you do, but in what your company does, what the company stands for and how it operates in the world.
- You can see your own growth path within the company and have goals, metrics, and incentives aligned with it.
- The company offers growth and training opportunities, challenging opportunities, and meaningful recognition and rewards.
Making it Happen
If a workplace is going to be somewhere that people want to be and want to go to, it will be because top management has created an environment and a company where people feel valued and appreciated. A company where the mission, values and vision match yours will be a place you want to work.